Highlights from the Closing Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Posted by sportainmentblog
Every two years, the world’s finest athletes gather at the Olympic Games the winter and summer game, where the later is the most popularly attended and watched. A spectacular celebration of sporting excellence that captures the attention of billions of people around the world. However, the Games are about much more than just sport. They bring the Olympic values to life and provide a global arena for a unique combination of sport, culture, education and ceremonies.
At the Olympic Games in London 2012, about 10,500 athletes from 204 countries compete in 26 different sports, comprising 302 medal events. Whether athletes win a medal or not, they can forever call themselves Olympians. The sporting competitions are undoubtedly the central focus of the Olympic Games and participating in the Games is the ultimate goal for most athletes.
Every edition has its own story to tell and will be remembered for some truly remarkable performances from sporting legends such as Jesse Owens, Abebe Bikila, Jean-Claude Killy, Nadia Comaneci, Katarina Witt, Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, to name just a few.
Watch some of the high moments of the closing ceremony:
- London 2012 Olympics DVD and Blu-Ray Available for Preorder (prweb.com)
- OLYMPICS: “No gold, no silver, no bronze, N2.3 bn down the drain” (vanguardngr.com)
- The phoenix soars as London bids farewell to the Olympic Games (standard.co.uk)
- Victoria Beckham Shares Backstage Photos From The Closing Ceremonies Of The London 2012 Olympic Games (pinkisthenewblog.com)
- In pictures: 2012 Olympic Games closing ceremony (bbc.co.uk)
- Olympics closing ceremony: Queen praises athletes but will not be there (telegraph.co.uk)
- London 2012 Olympics end as Nigeria return with no medal (ejaife.wordpress.com)
- UK News: Athletes fly home as flame goes out (walesonline.co.uk)